Sumner Newscow report — The Wellington City Council will hold a work session on Monday, March 6, 2017, at 6:00 p.m. at the City Administration building, 317 S. Washington, Wellington, Kansas. The purpose of the work session is to discuss City board/commission applicants, compost site access, Sanitation fees, future projects/financing, and various other City topics/issues.
Daily Archives: March 2, 2017March 02, 2017 CueballMarch 02, 2017 Cueball
by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The Class 4A schools are the last to jump into the sub-state post-season fray, but tonight and tomorrow they get their turns as well.
The Wellington boys will travel to Rose Hill to play the host in the first round of sub-state tonight at 7:30 p.m. The girls will play host to Winfield Friday at 6 p.m.
In other Sumner County news, Argonia girls will be battling No. 2 ranked Cunningham tonight at 6 p.m. followed by Caldwell against Attica at 7:30 p.m. in the Attica sub-state. The boys teams at Conway Springs, Belle Plaine, Caldwell, South Haven and Argonia will play Friday night.
The Rose Hill sub-state for both the boys and girls will be interesting. Both teams could end up in the Class 4A state tournament and both teams could be starting spring sports on Monday. The sub-states for both squads could arguably be a 50-50 proposition.
The boys sub-state is especially muddled. Wellington (7-13) is battling Rose Hill (5-11). Mulvane (7-13) is battling Winfield (2-18) in the first round game.March 02, 2017 CueballMarch 02, 2017 Cueball
Randy Clark Lowen, age 55, loving father, son, brother, grandfather and friend died Monday, January 23, 2017 at his home in Port Orange, Fla. Randy was owner of Lowen’s Lawn Service.
Randy Clark Lowen was born on July 25, 1961 in Wellington to Vernon Lowen and Jackie (Derby) Lowen. He was raised in Wellington and graduated from Wellington High School with the Class of 1980. He was a big time wrestler during his senior year, winning the Class 4A State Championship in 1980 at 132 pounds with a 26-1 record. He was also a Duke Homecoming attendant. Randy was named most artistic by his classmates.
He enjoyed spending time with his family and friends and loved watching football and basketball games.
He was preceded in death by his father, Vernon and his grandparents.March 02, 2017 Cueball
Sumner County business on the mooooove
Sumner Newscow Calendar
- Richard Ebersole, 85, Funeral Director of Ebersole Mortuary, Conway Springs: Nov. 17, 1931 – March 24, 2017
- Garage Sales for this weekend…
- Sumner Court Docket: March 24, 2017 report
- St. Jude’s Episcopal Church holding biscuits and gravy breakfast on March 25
- Dr. Leo Oliva comes to Wellington to speak about the courageous women of the Santa Fe Trail
- Wellington Police Notes: Thursday, March 23, 2017
- State legislature approves Cowley College adding Sumner County trustee
- Provencio sentencing delayed for three weeks
- (Update: 3-23-16)The dog Clementine appears to be doing well; Haskin-Ybarra case continued
- Ruby Shields, 87, Wellington: March 7, 1930 – March 22, 2017