Daily Archives: March 4, 2017March 04, 2017 CueballMarch 04, 2017 Cueball
Sumner Newscow report — The Conway Springs and Belle Plaine boys advanced to their respective sub-state championships with big semifinal games.`
In Cheney, Conway Springs would pick up a 56-34 victory over Halstead, while in Fredonia Belle Plaine beat Douglass 68-61. Tonight: Cheney (12-9) battles Conway Springs (18-4) at 7:30 p.m. Belle Plaine (14-8) vs. Caney Valley (11-11).
Sumner County has six basketball teams playing for the sub-state championship. Full Sumner County sub-state schedule is below:
CONWAY SPRINGS 56, HALSTEAD 45March 04, 2017 Cueball
by James Jordan, Sumner Newscow — Both Caldwell and Attica opened up big leads early and cruised to wins in the Class 1A Sub-State tournament Friday in Attica. That sets up a final tonight with the Caldwell boys playing Attica. The winner moves on to the state tournament and the loser is done for the season.
Caldwell is now 18-2 and Attica is 12-9. Attica is the defending state champion.
The game for the substate title begins at 7:30 tonight at Attica.
On the girls side, Cunningham (19-1) will play Caldwell (13-7) for the substate title at 6 p.m.
Caldwell 63, South Haven 32
Caldwell put on a shooting exhibition in the first quarter, and played stifling defense to take a 25-2 lead early on. The Bluejays led 28-8 at the end of one quarter and 36-11 at halftime.
Colten Ward had 23 points to lead Caldwell. Hie had six 3-pointers, and four of them were in the first quarter. He had 14 points in the first quarter. Caldwell had five 3-pointers in the first quarter and seven the entire game..
Jalen Risley had 18 for Caldwell. Dilyn Volovka had 9, Andrew Dent 6, Corbin Rice 3, Justin Brown 2 and Dylan Schmidt 2.
South Haven managed six points late in the first quarter, but the Cardinals did not have a field goal in the second quarter.
Sumner County business on the mooooove
Sumner Newscow Calendar
- Sixth annual Career and Technical Education Showcase featured exceptional talent
- Patrick Hamlin will be leaving as director of Wellington Airport
- The Boss Baby playing at Wellington Regent this weekend
- Keller: Best day of tennis in five years for Wellington boys
- WMS After School Program students held science fair for elementary group
- Help wanted: Experienced Machinist at Triumph Accessory Services
- Wellington Police Notes: Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- Governor Sam Brownback signs proclamation recognizing the 150th Anniversary of the Chisholm Trail
- Wichita State disc golf team, with 2 Wellington boys, finish 20th in nationals
- WHS Daily Bulletin: Crusaders of the Stage to present ‘Spotlight Desserts Theater’