Caldwell juvenile’s hearing set for Jan. 29 on school criminal threat caseJanuary 08, 2014 Cueball
by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — A 17-year-old juvenile male from Caldwell accused of making a criminal threat that created a week-long lockdown of USD 360 school district in late October and early November, is expected to have a juvenile hearing on Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 4 p.m. at Sumner County District Court.
During a first appearance hearing held today in juvenile court in Wellington, District Magistrate Judge James Biles appointed Elaine Esparza as the 17-year-old’s court-appointed attorney. She immediately asked for a continuance to work on the case which the judge granted for the last Wednesday in January.
The 17-year-old has been charged with one count of aggravated criminal threat, a level 5 person felony; or alternatively a criminal threat, a level 9 person felony which resulted in a lockdown of the Caldwell Public School building in late October and early November.
The juvenile, whose name is being withheld because he is under 18, has been charged by the Sumner County Attorney’s office with “unlawfully, feloniously, and willfully threaten to commit violence while in school,” on Friday, Oct. 25, 2013.
According to the complaint, that while in school, the juvenile allegedly used words indicating that he was so mad he could kill someone, possibly one of the students.
He allegedly made such a threat with reckless disregard of the risk of causing a lockdown of any building at the Caldwell USD 360 school district, the complaint read.
Caldwell School District operated a lockdown drill in which all doors were locked during the subsequent week after the threat was made.Posted in: News
Sumner Newscow Calendar
- One thing is guaranteed, this election will be interesting
- AARP volunteers will be helping individuals with taxes at Wellington Senior Center
- Wellington Middle School results, SCBL highlights, WHS girls prepare for Haven tourney
- Sumner Newscow weekly poll: The city campaign question
- WHS Daily Bulletin: January, 28, 2015
- Wellington Police Notes: Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015
- Sumner County Clerk’s 2015 election deadline filing list
- Sumner County Court Docket: Jan. 27, 2015 report
- Final City of Wellington filings for council and mayor
- WHS Daily Bulletin: Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015