County attorney: If Hoyt steps foot in Sumner County, he will be charged for July’s Wellington Subway robberySeptember 16, 2013 Cueball
by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — If Timothy Hoyt, 43, of Belle Vista, Ark. is extradited to Sumner County from Altoona, Iowa, he will be facing charges of aggravated robbery, a level 3 felony, for the July 17, 2013 robbery of the Wellington Subway on 715 North G Street.
Sumner County Attorney Kerwin Spencer said he will make formal charges if he steps foot in Sumner County. A conviction of aggravated robbery could result up to 247 months in jail, depending on his criminal history.
But there are a lot of external factors surrounding Hoyt, who is accused of multiple offenses in four states including Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota and Iowa.
Currently, Hoyt is in custody in Altoona, Iowa for allegedly robbing a Papa Murphy’s Pizzeria on Aug. 7. He has been charged with first-degree robbery and remains in Polk County Jail on $25,000 bond.
Spencer said Hoyt is also being investigated for a bank robbery and is currently awaiting an interview from the FBI. If it is a federal offense, then he can be tried in any state. Federal offenses take precedence over state cases. Spencer anticipates the Polk County Attorney will not bring Hoyt to trial until the federal government is complete with its investigation.
Then typically, because Hoyt is currently in Iowa, that state will prosecute. Spencer said if Hoyt is sentenced to 20 years in prison, the Sumner County will not worry about extradition. However, if Hoyt is acquitted, sentenced to a lesser charge, or is found guilty but is proceeding with appeals, then Sumner County will look to transferring him here to be charged.
That would require a waver of extradition and two Sumner County Sheriff deputies to escort him from Iowa to Kansas.
Hoyt is accused of walking into the Wellington Subway wearing a dark colored sports jacket and black baseball style cap with an unknown logo. He allegedly removed a pistol from his waistband and ordered the clerk to hand over the cash from the register. Spencer said he obtained $286 in cash before exiting the restaurant.
Hoyt is also accused of robberies of Subway Sandwich Shops in Missouri at Nixa and Joplin, Mo.Posted in: News
Sumner Newscow Calendar
- Katherine Wheeler, 53, Oxford: Jan. 18, 1962 – March 26, 2015
- Sumner Newscow Candidates Forum: The Wellington Mayor’s Race
- James Martin, 58, Oxford: Feb. 9, 1957 – March 26, 2015
- Margaret Holman, 97, Oxford: Nov. 11, 1917 – March 26, 2015
- Cinderella playing at Wellington Regent this weekend
- Wellington Police Notes: Thursday, March 26, 2015
- T.D.’s BBQ is celebrating its 1-year anniversary! Celebrate with them at Barefoot Jerry’s
- Wellington man convicted of distributing child pornography
- Blansett competency hearing continued to April 23
- Crusader Preview: Wellington girls softball team brings back experience in 2015