Double fatality accident occurs near Belle Plaine on Kansas TurnpikeNovember 05, 2012 Cueball
by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — A double fatality occurred at milepost 27.4 near Belle Plaine on the Kansas Turnpike Saturday evening at 3:12 p.m.
A driver of a 2012 International semi-truck, which was hauling fuel, hit a concrete guard rail on a bridge while traveling northbound. The truck then skidded into the ditch, went through a fence, rolled and came to a stop, according to Kansas Turnpike Authority dispatch.
The tanker then caught fire, and exploded at 3:19 p.m. seven minutes later, according to dispatch.
The two victims, who are from Oklahoma, have not been publicly identified by KTA authorities until next of kin has been contacted.
Traffic was delayed on the turnpike for a short period of time as law enforcement worried that there could be an explosion before it occurred. No other people were hurt during the explosion.
It is unknown why the driver hit the bridge guard rail, according to dispatch.
According to a Wichita Eagle article, at least one motorist started toward the truck to help, but it was too late. The truck was engulfed in flames about a mile north of the Belle Plaine service area, said Kansas Highway Patrol Master Trooper Joel Powers told the Eagle.
The truck caught fire about 75 yards east of the northbound lanes. Realizing that the truck and tanker could explode, another trooper held back northbound traffic for a time. The truck exploded about 10 minutes after he arrived, Powers said at the scene.
“When it blew, it was a pretty good shock wave,” he said. The force sent large sheets of metal back toward the highway.Posted in: News
Sumner Newscow Calendar
- Arthur Johnson, 87, Oxford: Feb. 4, 1929 – June 25, 2016
- The official, updated 2016 Kansas Wheat Festival Schedule”
- Kansas wheat harvest is all but complete; prices are abysmal
- Daniel YoNash comes to Wellington as new financial advisor for Edward Jones’ downtown office
- Post your FREE Garage Sale ads here
- Starting today bridge repair on US-81 Highway in Caldwell
- Help wanted: Detention Officer for Sumner County Sheriff Office
- Wellington Police Notes: Friday, June 24 – Sunday, June 26, 2016
- Sumner County Sheriff weekly jail bookings: June 20-27, 2016
- Wellington Fire/EMS weekly run report: June 20 – June 26, 2016