Harold Dean Sturm, Caldwell: June 18, 1937 – Dec. 2, 2012December 04, 2012 Cueball
Harold Dean Sturm was born July 18, 1937 in Caldwell to Jesse Harry and Edith (Cunningham) Sturm. He had an ideal childhood growing up on the banks of the Chikaskia River in Drury.
He attended school in Drury through the 8th grade and then came into Caldwell to High School graduating with the Class Of 1955.
Following graduation, he did oil field and aircraft work and then came back to Caldwell to work for Wirtz Construction. In 1960 he was drafted into the army where he spent 18 months in Korea patrolling the DMZ between North Korea and South Korea. After returning to the States he went back to work for Al Wirtz.
On May 26, 1963 he married Karen Fast at the Caldwell United Methodist Church. To this union were born two sons, Russell Dean and Ryan Dale. After the death of Al Wirtz in 1966 he went into full time farming.
Harold was a board member of many organizations including the Corzine Cemetery, Border Queen Museum, Caldwell Historical Society, Cherokee Strip Centennial Committee, CHS Alumni Board, Farmers Coop and a 50 year member of Sumner Lodge #203.
Because of their dad the Sturm boys had go-carts, motorcycles, 4 wheelers and learned to drive tractors, trucks, and all forms of farm equipment. They water skiied, snow skiied, camped, golfed and he turned them on to Dallas Cowboy football.
After raising two sons he reveled in spoiling his four granddaughters. Instead of playing with cars and trucks, he’d be on the floor with dolls and books. They were his special girls and he was their special “Papa”.
Harold died Sunday night, December 2, 2012 at the Sumner County District #1 Hospital, Caldwell, Kansas. He was 75 years old.
He was preceded in death by his parents and sister June Korbel. He is survived by his wife Karen of the home, sons, Russell and his wife Tonia Sturm of Valley Center, KS, Ryan and his wife Jennifer Sturm of Caldwell, Kansas; granddaughters Chelsi, RyAnn, Emma and Jenna, nephews Mike Williamson, Steve and Tracy Korbel and niece Becky Lacey other relatives and many friends.
Funeral services will be held 10:00 a.m. Thursday, December 6, 2012 at the United Methodist Church in Caldwell, Kansas.
Interment will be in the Corzine Cemetery, Corbin, Kansas.
Memorials may be given to the Caldwell High School Alumni Association or to the Caldwell Historical Society.
To share a memory or leave a condolence please visit www.schaeffermortuary.info
Arrangements by Schaeffer Mortuary 6 N. Main, Caldwell, KansasPosted in: Obituaries
Sumner Newscow Calendar
- Wellington Mayor and City Council Candidates Meet and Greet at public library
- Gross! Clean up after your pets when walking them downtown
- Crusader Baseball preview: Wellington returns 71 innings of starting pitching; but inexperience is an issue elsewhere
- Sumner County Sheriff weekly jail bookings: March 23-30, 2015
- Wilbur Arthur ‘Jess’ Jesseph, 76, Conway Springs: Oct. 18, 1938 – March 28, 2015
- Henrietta Reheard: March 20, 1923 – March 29, 2015
- First Friday Art Showing at The Gold Corner
- Wellington Police Notes: Friday, March 27 – Sunday, March 29, 2015
- Post your FREE Garage Sale ads here
- WHS Daily Bulletin: If you are bored, join the color guard!