Vernon Napier, Jr. aka radio personality Travis Turner: Sept. 7, 1953 – Feb. 9, 2014February 11, 2014 Cueball
Vernon Napier, Jr. also known as “Travis Turner”, of Clearwater, died Sunday, February 9, 2014 in Wichita at the age of 60.
Vernon was born the son of Vernon Napier, Sr. and Barbara (Stout) Napier on Monday, September 7, 1953 in Pittsburg, Kans.
On June 15, 2001 Vernon and Sabra Elwood-Napier were united in marriage in Wichita. Together they celebrated 12 years of marriage.
Travis Turner was a well known radio personality for 30 years. He was a singer and entertainer that performed in many places around the United States. He enjoyed riding his Harley Davidson. In his early years he was a band instructor for 10 years in different Kansas high schools. He and his wife organized many charity events during their years together. Vernon loved being with his children, grandchildren, family and friends. He was a very giving and loving man and will be deeply missed by all that knew him.
Survivors include his wife whom he loved greatly, Sabra Elwood-Napier of Clearwater, loving children, Aaron Napier and his wife Rochelle of Hutchinson, Amber Crabb and her husband Jimmy of Sentinel, Oklahoma, Serena Elwood and her husband Tyler of Wichita, Ethen Elwood and his wife Marina of Newkirk, Oklahoma, Brandon Napier and his wife Danielle of Winfield, father, Vernon Napier, Sr. of Mulberry, mother-in-law Alice Long of Clearwater, brothers, Terry Napier and his wife Jeanne of Girard, Patrick Napier and his wife Teena of McCune, sister, Delores Herman of Girard, and grandchildren, Taylor, Jaden, Violet, Noah, Jonah, Kaleb and Danika and two more on the way.
He was preceded in death by his mother Barbara Napier, father-in-law Kenneth Long, brother-in-law Dale Herman, daughter Ericka Elwood, granddaughters Grace Napier and Paisley Elwood.
A celebration of life will be held Saturday, February 15th, 2014. This will be a come and go event to gather and share your memories. It will be held from 1 p.m.-5 p.m. at the Memorial Auditorium 208 N Washington Wellington, KS 67152.
In Lieu of flowers memorials have been established in his loving memory with the Day Funeral Home & Crematory, ATTN: Vernon/Travis Memorial Fund, 1030 Mission Road, Wellington. Contributions can be mailed or left with the funeral home.
To share a memory or leave condolences, please visit www.dayfuneralhome.info.
Arrangements are by Day Funeral Home & Crematory, Wellington.
- Holiday Craft Fair held at South Haven Community Building
- Dianna Lowry, 69, Oxford: May 4, 1945 – Nov. 22, 2014
- Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
- “Pie the teacher” to be held at Wellington High School to raise money for residential patients in the hospital.
- “Late night with the Cats” has been a tradition for 9 years at Oxford High School
- Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 to play at Wellington Regent at 7 p.m. starting tonight
- Wellington Police Notes: Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014
- Oxford’s 38th Annual Christmas in Country is Nov. 28-29
- Help wanted: Public Health Supervisor- Sumner County Health Department
- Kansas Star Casino to build meeting and equestian center scheduled to open in mid-December