Virginia Marie Eklund, 92, Wellington: Nov. 24, 1924 – April 14, 2017April 19, 2017 Cueball
Virginia Marie Eklund, 92, peacefully slipped away from the body on April 14, with family by her side. Ginny was born November 29, 1924 in Friend, Nebraska, the third of 3 daughters and a younger brother born to Albert and Bertha (Hansen) Johnsen.
At the age of 11 her family moved to a small homestead near Ault, Colo. Ginny graduated from Ault High School in 1941 at the age of 16. Her parents made her wait until she turned 18, at which time she moved to Denver and worked at Montgomery Wards for 2 years.
Ginny then followed her parents to Ottawa, KS and shortly thereafter moved to Lincoln, NE where she worked at an unemployment office for 2 years. Returning to Ottawa she worked for the next 6 years at the Ottawa Steel Products company as a secretary.
Ginny married Dean Eklund on August 29, 1953 in Clarksdale, MS and enjoyed 58 years together until his passing in 2012. The family moved to Wellington in 1966. Ginny was a secretary for the First Presbyterian Church, the Wellington School District, and last worked with Dean at his State Farm Insurance agency for 14 years up to their retirement in 1992. She was an active member of the First Presbyterian Church.
Ginny is survived by her children; Dan and wife Polly Eklund of San Diego, Mark Eklund of Wellington, and Kris Eklund of Wichita.
A come and go celebration of life will be from 7 – 9 p.m. at No. 7 Coffee House, 115 S Washington Ave in downtown Wellington, on Tuesday, May 2. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, May 4 at the First Presbyterian Church in Wellington. A catered dinner will directly follow the service. All friends and acquaintances are invited to both events. RSVP to Mark at 785 324-1515 for the dinner.
Cremation has occurred and a private internment will take place at Prairie Lawn Cemetery.Posted in: Obituaries
Sumner County business on the mooooove
Sumner Newscow Calendar
- Sumner Newscow weekly poll: The Saturday night question
- Can Can girls and Jessie Chisholm came to Wellington
- Brooke McCorkle named Big Cheese Athlete of the Week
- Wellington girls break 3-game losing streak with 3-game winning streak
- Wellington baseball team falls to 5-8 with Buhler sweep, Mulvane split
- Juanita Samples, 87, Oxford: May 30, 1929 – April 23, 2017
- Richard Hopper, 74, Oxford: Jan. 22, 1943 – April 24, 2017
- WHS Daily Bulletin: WHS Student Council officers are announced
- K.C. BBQ Society sanctioned Chisholm Trail BBQ Cook Off will start this weekend in Wellington
- Wellington Police Notes: Monday, April 24, 2017